VLOG—A Minute with Steven
It Took Me Six Wrongs to Get it Right
Most people know that I’ve been selling life insurance since 1991 which, as of this recording, makes it almost 30 years. What most people don’t know is that this job was my seventh attempt at starting a career.
After I graduated college, this is what happened:
- I took a job as a marketer with a nonprofit environmental group. Laid off due to lack of funds.
- I then took a job as a personnel recruiter. Fired due to poor productivity.
- I then took a job as a marketer with a human resource consulting firm. Laid off due to lack of funds.
- I then took a job as a sales person of advertising space. Fired due to poor productivity.
- I then took a job as an operations manager with the distribution company. After seven years, I was downsized.
- I landed a job as a salesperson with a captive life insurance agency. After seven years, I left to form my own brokerage.
And that’s what I’ve been doing the last 20+ years.
I guess seven is my lucky number. But the moral of the story is that in business and careers, like anything else, you have to keep working at it to get it right. You get it wrong many, many times before you finally get it right. But that’s how you learn!
Interested in discussing your unique situation?
Contact us for details to get started or fill out the form below and we will contact you.